Every year I think, "this will be the year I finish my novel." I've been saying this since I started my novel over 10 years ago. In fact, I think it's been so long that someone else has probably written my novel already. Perhaps it's time to start anew. But I find I need inspiration and a goal.

Last year, I took a non-fiction writing class and found myself writing constantly. For one, I had to for the class, but I was also inspired to write. After the class ended, writing regularly fizzled out. Why? The desire hadn't died, but the goal of what to write & how much had faded. Of course, like every year, August was supposed to be my month of writing, but that month was hijacked by cancer, so it had to be another month. It happens to be November. Why November?

I had forgotten this, but last year, I signed up with a writing organization and on October 23rd, I received this odd email from "nanowrimo.org." "Who the heck is that?" I thought as I clicked on the e-mail. It was a reminder that November is national novel writing month! So, I'm participating in the challenge to write 50,000 words during the month of  November. I am also challenging my students to do the same. For me, it's a novel. For my students, it can be whatever they like. I'm also offering extra credit for anyone who completes the challenge. Check it out! You might just get inspired, too: http://www.nanowrimo.org/.

Copying @KarlBimshas, I am also posting a Word Cloud of my first 2,137 pages all written on November 1st. Create your own word cloud using wordle.net.

Now go write!

Comments (1)

On November 21, 2010 at 7:59 AM , Maria H. Andersen said...

Good for you! Hope the writing is going well!